Educated Nannies. " Placing full-time Nannies in the most Exclusive Households in London and Overseas"

Tel.: 07890 554 759 or 0203 091 7173

Nanny Qualifications 

In this section, you will find nanny qualifications. Nannies having qualified abroad may hold different qualifications from the ones listed below:

CACHE* / DCE*/ NNEB* Diploma 

  • CACHE* = Council for Awards in Childcare and Education
  • DCE* = Diploma in Childcare Education
  • NNEB* = National Nursery Examination Board

CACHE runs the Diploma in Childcare Education (DCE) which is an early years qualification (children aged between 0 to 7). The DCE replaces the NNEB diploma which focuses on work placements in nurseries, schools and hospitals. This two-year diploma is the most recognised qualification for nannies and also focuses on academic subjects: child's physical, social, educational and emotional needs, together with hygiene, play and first aid.

CCE (Certificate in Childcare and Education)

This one-year course allows the candidate to start a career in childcare, as a mother's help for example.

ADCE (Advanced Diploma in Childcare Education)

This course is only open to experienced childcarers. A nursery manager may hold such a qualification which is the equivalent to a Master's degree.

BTEC (Business and Technology Education Council)

This full-time two-year course is of a higher level and more intellectual than the NNEB/DCE diploma. Academic work is stressed on the curriculum. People who have an interest in teaching, nursing, social care and childcare might be drawn to such a diploma.

The BTEC national certificate is different from the above BTEC diploma; the BTEC certificate is a one-year course whose level is lower. On a part-time basis, this certificate might be of interest to mature students.

GNVQ (General National Vocational Qualifications)

These courses are considered as alternatives to A levels. NVQs are work-based qualifications. They can be completed in 2 years. During work placements, students are assessed.

  • Level 2 students can start a career in a nursery or can work as mother's helps,                                              
  • NVQ Level 3 is equivalent to the DCE/NNEB diploma whereby holders can work without supervision,
  • NVQ Level 4 holders can run a play area and supervise staff.

NAMCW (National Association for Maternal and Child Welfare)

This is a two-year certificate designed for 16-18 year olds, covering childcare topics regarding children from birth to teenagers, whereas the advanced certificate is of interest to mature students, i.e. childminders wanting to study towards a professional qualification.

Diplomas at private colleges : Norland College, Princess Christian College (now merged with another nursery group) & Chiltern College

These colleges provide a two-year specialist training and have their own on-site nurseries. Courses are followed by a probation period. Norland probation period amounts to one year in full-time employment in order to be properly qualified. The students are granted the NNEB and Health Diploma (Norland students).

Montessori Diploma

This is a diploma based on the philosophy of Maria Montessori whereby children are capable of learning independently through activity within a structured environment.